Re: Hudson's deploy plugin

Kohsuke Kawaguchi
Administrator
On 05/15/2010 08:48 AM, Antonio Sanso wrote:
> Hello Kohsuke,
>
> saying that I think Hudson is awesome I would have a quick question for you.
>
> I have been working on an extension of the deploy plugin supporting for the
> moment websphere application server 6.1/7 and Websphere Portal 6.1.

Nice!

> I have seen there is already a Websphere plugin but doesn't support a deploy
> out of the box...
>

> The existing deploy plugin being a kind of wrapper of cargo doesn't support
> any WebSphere server... My approach is heavily based on JMX and I have
> already a proof of concept working.

I thought the deploy plugin actually doesn't directly depend on Cargo
--- it should allow you to develop a deployment mechanism that uses
something else entirely, like JMX in your case.

> Now I was wondering which would be the right way to ship it... Extend your
> deploy plugin? Or create a new plugin having a dependency on yuor deploy
> plugin if feasilble ?? (I have seen  I can have dependency beetwen plugins
> but would be also support share the same UI, sorry I is my first Hudson
> plugin attempt.)

I think both are the same thing. The deploy plugin should define an
extension point to contribute container implementations, and such
implementations can be either in the deploy plugin itself or in another
plugin that depends on the deploy plugin.

Which is better depends on various factors, such as footprint.

> Moreover as last question this plugin might have some dependency on some
> propretary IBM jar ... would it be a problem?

If those jars are redistributable but just not open-source, I don't
think there's a problem. If they are not redistributable, you need to
come up with some ways to let users supply those jars after the
installation of the plugin, so you'll have to do some additional work.

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi                          http://kohsuke.org/

Re: Hudson's deploy plugin

Antonio Sanso
Hello *,
I would have a quick question for you.
I have been working on a deploy plugin for Websphere (WAS 6.1 and WPS 6.1).
I'd like to have a confirmation that what I am doing is correct.  I didn't quite undestand if I would have the right to direct extend the existing deploy plugin. If yes this would be really nice  and I am not really far away to finish the WebSphere 6.1 deploy (without security enabled). The WAS 6.1 with security and Websphere Portal I have also a work POC but still need a big polish!
If you see the jpg you can see that my extension plug directly in the drop down box of the existing plugin.
Is it correct what I am doing ? Can  I continuing in this direction hoping I can extend the existing plugin? Is there anyone atthe moment "owning" the deploy plugin? If not is there a specific pattern to be used to leverage an already existing plugin?? (Not just the class but also all the UI)

Thanks a lot and I hopethere is somebody able to answer.

Antonio

deploy-websphere-ext.jpg

Re: Hudson's deploy plugin

Antonio Sanso
Hello,
I eventually decided to go for a new plugin having a dependency with the existing plugin. This, in my opinion, is the best solution because, being WebSphere a proprietary product and being some jar not redistributable there is a needing of a little extra configuration (just copying a couple of proprietary jar on the classpath) at the end of the plugin installation. Anyway more details will be on the wiki (either my personal one and the one of hudson if I can publish my plugin).
Hence I would like commit access, and would like to host a plugin on Hudson.
My java.net id is asanso .

thanks a lot